/dist/images/branding/favicon

Charging case?

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by hugo burns, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

26 minutes from cold. Up to 45 on heavy flight days.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I had looked at this thread a while back, trying to come up with a convenient charging solution. Thought I'd share what I ended up building, and it saves us a lot of time setting up our battery charging station on set.

I didn't want to start chopping up a Pelican case because they're kind of pricey, and I tend to keep changing my mind about how I do things. After thinking on it a while, I took one of the milk crates we use on grip trucks and started building a charging station. The milk crate is cheap, durable, has lots of great mounting points, and I can change the design around without cutting any holes. There's also lots of ventilation.

I put a thin wood base on the bottom of the milk crate, and used Coroplast plastic (found in the 'yard sign' department of the hardware store) as dividers. Zip-Ties hold everything in place, along with some Bongo ties that allow the power strips to be folded in or pulled out when we put it into a van.

The batteries I need to keep on charge all day on a Movi shoot:
    7x Freefly Lipo's (4s) -- Tenergy TB6-B charger
    4x 9V Batteries (for Bartech focus hand unit)
    3x Sena SPH-10 Bluetooth communication headsets
    5x Sony\Swit L-Series batteries
    5x Panasonic CGA\Swit Batteries
    1x Nexus 7" Tablet
    7x Globalmedia Pro V-Mount batteries
    3x USB batteries for the Mimic

It's not super-pretty, but it started out as a test with stuff I had lying around, and has been pretty successful. If I get around to it, I may re-do it a little neater. The Tenergy Charger is bongo-tied to the side wall, to make a little more room on that side, but I admit it's a little tricky to see the display when you're starting a battery on charge.

IMG_3634.jpg IMG_3635.jpg

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Love it, Graham -- and it's fully ventilated for cooling -- as well as being stackable! :)
    Joking apart....nice solution and far better looking than some of my prototypes (which typically look like they've been dropped from about four meters AGL and just "arrived.")

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.