/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extended Mimic Range

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Cam Batten, May 29, 2015.

1. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

I'd like to know if anyone tries the mimic on an aircraft, and how far you get, and what happens when you're out of range.

If Freefly are able to extend the range to be equivalent of a standard tx/rx combo on the mimic, it would be incredible for handing over to director or dop on small crew shoots for Aerials.

2. Paul Christopher Greene

+1...how does Mimic broadcast? Through trainer port on UAV TX? What is range? Freefly?

Thank you,
    PCG

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

MIMIC doesn't really broadcast, per se. It transmits directly (replacing the UAV TX) to a receiver on the MōVI using 2.4gHz frequency just like the Spektrum or Graupner TX does. I suspect you could use a fancy antenna on the MIMIC and maybe use more than one receiver on the MōVI. But I'm not aware of anybody who's tried flying with one yet. I have my MIMIC, but don't have my ALTA yet so my MōVI is landlocked at the moment.

4. Paul Christopher Greene

Thank you kindly Steve :) Any additional range info you might be able to share would be greatly appreciated as we won't be getting a Mimic until Wed and have an important heavy lifter demo Fri am ;)

Thanks again mate...

PCG

5. Paul Christopher Greene

Any info at all on Mimic range or extending it?

Thank you,

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm 3,000 miles away from my MIMIC right now, and won't be any closer for several more days. And apparently I won't have the ALTA to fly my MōVI for at least another month. :(

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

What is the official Freefly range for the Mimic

8. Paul Christopher Greene

I'm not sure where I picked up this info but I believe it's supposed to be 1200 feet line of sight.

If this is correct, it's my hope we can extend it to the same distance a UAV TX works...at least 2-3000' +

Thank you,

9. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Does anyone know what to do? This is what I get when I connect the app to mimic and it is not working. Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.33.35.png Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.35.12.png Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.33.35.png Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.35.12.png

M10 is fine compass OK everything on green and working ok.

10. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

*cough* *cough*

Paul, I have to ask - how are you managing to fly your UAV 2 to 3,000 feet away? I'm assuming your pilot is within a few hundred feet of the drone, typically, and you're looking to broadcast back to the camera operator who is nowhere near the pilot?

11. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I wonder if you can replace the RX on the Gimbal. If so there might be a way to improve the range by adding antenna by using an RX that will let you add satellites. That would also allow you to configure the at 90 degree angles to one another in xyz planes if the loss of signal is due to orientation or being in the shadow of a carbon element or something like that???