/dist/images/branding/favicon

New ALTA footage

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Brad Meier, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Hey guys,

We posted some new footage from us playing around during testing the last few weeks.

2. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

Hi Brad

That's cool footage, out of interest in the first shot are you using a mimic attached to the tx to control the camera? I thought about doing that but from tests the mimic doesn't have a great range for aerial stuff, can it be extended?

Cheers!

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

So I guess I can sell my 250 podracer quadcopter and use my ALTA to do fast FPV through the trees now. Awesome. :eek:

4. Michael Elsegood

Great pictures - I wish my MoVI controller had this much range, looks like fun.

Unfortunately my unit is banished to short range, handheld jobs only.

5. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

How are you getting so much distance out of your Movi Controller, we are limited to 300'? Thanks for any info.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What power level setting do you have on the MōVI Controller, Jonathan?

Andy.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  7. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

I wil check Andy I was not aware of different settings. I will ask my pilot tomorrow and check our settings.

Thanks as always Andy you are such a big help.

Cheers,
    J

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hope that this turns out to be be the problem. It should be set to Power Level 4. (That's under the Radio Config menu.)
    Also, make sure that you have the MōVI Controller's antenna pointing upwards and the receiver's antennae not in hard contact with anything.

Post again if it's still a problem.
    Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't bet that all of the camera moves were done with the Controller. More likely the dual operator mode was using a Futaba tx/rx thus much greater range than just the Controller.

10. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

H Gary,

So if we changed up our Movi controller for a Futaba wewould get more range? That seems odd to me that the Movi controller has less range. Do you know how much difference there is between the two? Thank you for your feedback. We have a an extra Futaba but we love out Movi controller.

Thank you sir,
    J

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jonathan the amount of variables involved I don't think there is an easy answer. I did some ground testing a few years ago and was able to control a copter at 1.5 miles and also get video from my back deck across the slight valley to the west to the top of the next ridge.

I've never tested the range of the Controller but since I do very little flying where I lose orientation with the MII eyeballs probably a poor one to ask :). Variables of where/how the antenna are mounted, antenna lengths, RFI in the surrounding area, obstructions triggering multi path and the list goes on.

Not to be flippant but the answer is 'it depends'... Give it a try. If you like the range on your Futaba when flying and the Controller when used at the same time doesn't give you the range you need I'd lean towards plugging in the spare Futaba and giving it a go.

12. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thank you Gary,

We will do some testing this next week and report back. We are all about close flights in line of sight but there are sometimes when we are following fast moving talent that 500 yards would be a great help. Thank you for the input.

J

13. James Layton ACO

James Layton ACO New Member

Hi Brad, I'm new to this forum, so could you tell me what kit you were using to get this all working? I'm looking at Alta's to take an Alexa Mini. I'm currently a film camera operator in the UK and as bigger octocopter's etc are new to me (I have a smaller one) I'm trying to work out what the best kit for film application would be. Seems like a good setup. We would be a dual operator / pilot setup, though, so maybe that's different.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.