/dist/images/branding/favicon

Futaba 14SG for ALTA?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It looks like the FF crew fly the ALTA with the Futaba 14SG in the videos I've seen, so I should probably get one of those. So I have a couple questions...
    1. it looks like there are multiple 14SG models (airplane and helicopter)...which one is best for MR use? i’m assuming airplane, but...
    2. the ALTA has redundant SBUS inputs for RC radios...I might want two receivers. Which receiver(s) should I get for the second one? the same R7008SB that comes with it?
    3. any programming tips for a Futaba newb? :)
    4. i’d also like to use the Futaba as a “head” for my long-range copter and airplane using the DragonLink transmitter to replace the crappy Flysky radio I’m using now. not a question, just grist for the mill.
    Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Airplane
    Yes
    Similar but different. Shouldn't have s problem. Bit more flexibility than others.

3. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Both Airplane & Heli work, update the new firmware and choose Multirotor. Difference is some have a ratchet/centering throttle stick, our heli versions are smooth non-centering/ratcheting. The 14SG is over kill though, nothing added over the TS8FG except more channels but so far we have not used more the 8 on 1x remote (T,R,A,E,GPS,CL, FS, LG) other camera specific controls are set on the Cam Ops remote. You can also add/remap Sbus channels for Futaba or Dragonlink receivers. If you feel you need a more pro controller go for these.. smooth as butter Profi or Jeti

4. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

I have and use the T8FG Super on a couple of my other copters(I use my MZ24 on my Cinestar). The Heli version throttle stick is smooth and the airplane version is ratcheting, definitely get the heli version if you have the choice, unless you like a ratcheting throttle... The center sprung throttle is another option that can be added/removed later fairly easily. As for the T8FG Super VS 14SG, the biggest difference is built in telemetry. I assume the Synapse FC will be able to feed telemetry data(one can hope!). IMHO, it's well worth the price of the 14SG for telemetry alone if you're flying something like the Alta. As for dual receivers, it seems a bit overkill IMHO. I've flown out about 1.5 miles using my Futaba T8FG Super and have never lost connection. The FPV feed got a bit shaky well before the control signal had any issues. The range of the Futaba setup is way better than the Graupner which I've had range issues at around 1500ft. If you were to get two receivers, you could get any receiver thats FASST compatible.

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Forget 2.4Ghz... get a dragonlink system and have all your telemetry over your osd with an eagle tree :)

Josh Lambeth likes this.
  6. Aj White

Aj White Member

I am planning the same setup. Won't telemetry be fed over osd on the connex system as well? I never fly my big rigs that far away anyways.

7. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Steve: I think I'd get whatever integrates well with the telemetry. I bought a Futaba 8FG Super (airplane mode with Center spring) to use with the s900 and the A2, becasue the A2 has a Receiver for Futaba integrated. The problem was I missed my Graupner telemetry, so I switch over to my MX-20, and an Electric Air Module. I can't always look down at an OSD to check my voltage, and like the Tx warnings. One of the reason I like the MK is the integrated telemetry to Graupner. I have an MX-20 and an MZ-24.
    If the Alta has telemetry to Futaba I'd go with it. If you like a center spring throttle on your Futaba it is easy to install.

8. Fabien Deregel

Hi, the Connex has a serial data transmission , it is Mavlink protocol enabled at the moment but sure thing they can change it if necessary and possible to hook it up on the Synapse..

Gimbal control over the Connex Sbus2 system is also very good and no particular latency, we even flew a quadcopter directly with the Connex Sbus2 system when Amimon came for tests in late january. Big advantage of the Connex is, it supports up to 16 channels ( you need to have your futaba Tx with trainer port setup up for 16 channels to output Sbus2 on trainer 2 for the Connex) . That with the Black magic UAV micro camera (Sbus support) or any other professional camera ( Serial data support for most of them) will be something very interesting..

For the Synapse telemetry, waiting like everybody to know if it is a BT link or anything else... :)

BEst regards,
    Fabien

9. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Fabien--yes, that will be an attractive camera/downlink package indeed. I mostly fell back on the Synapse OSD for real-time flight data over the BT link...however that was on a beta FC and kopter using a 5.8/500mW Tx.

Greetings,
    Adam

10. Fabien Deregel

Hi Adam,

i had an " ancestor" beta FC which had BT link.

The way for me to get Telemetry was to use the BT link integrated in the FC, and on the ground i had a small Windows Laptop with a UD100 Bluetooth dongle with the optional RP SMA antenna ( 800 meters + link). IN Anyway, if there is an OSD, it means that there is possible serial datas so that the Connex will be able to read it and transmit it if necessary, and as the link is duplex... :)))))

But there was standard OSD work going on also at that time over video link so maybe both will be available ?

I think that until FreeFly releases additional informations the awaiting will be very very hard , and i fact, it does not matter too much the way it is integrated on actual Synapse, all i want is to fly it :)))

Best regards,
    Fabien

11. Steve Maller

Fabien,

As I understand it, the OSD in Synapse on the ALTA is SD only, so it would not make sense to route a HD signal through it. Plus, I think you'd rather have the HD TX on the MōVI than on the copter, as cabling it through the Synapse would create a potential tangle if you rotated the MōVI too far (or at all, really).

I think "telemetry" on ALTA is going to be either through the OSD or the BT/Wifi link. Not sure there'll be a traditional RC/TX/RX telemetry capability at launch. Tabb seemed like it wasn't a priority (not that it couldn't be done).

Is it June yet? :rolleyes:

12. Aj White

Aj White Member

As long as I have voltage levels called out to me then I'm happy! :) I have it working great on my cheapo Taranis and taking a step backwards will be a pain.

13. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Well, 8 channels might work for some, but i always used a videoswitcher to switch from the fpv to the recording camera. Additionally i liked to have the availability to turn off the LED stripes, so i wouldn't go for the 8 channel futaba.It's enough for the most important things, but if you once want to add smth you have troubles.
    I own the 14SG, and its a great RC in my opinion. Its just my 2 cents, if you spend that much money on a new ALTA, i wouldn't go with the TS8FG just to save maybe 150$ ;)

(P.S.: I never opened my 14SG but e.g. on my MX-20 i can open it and set up the sticks as i want; ratching and self-centering is all adjustable.)

14. Tom Hirschmann

Tom Hirschmann New Member

Both the 8FG and 14SG are 14-channel transmitters. The 8FG used to be 8 channel but was upgraded in a firmware update years ago. The only major difference between the two is telemetry and a few more programming options.

Ratching can be adjusted in the Futabas and self centering can be added with a few springs. I have been told that some people got these springs for free, others paid shipping and a few bucks.

It's June! Now where are those ALTAs?! o_O

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Rory Hinds

Rory Hinds Member

someone needs to make a small ultra portable monochrome LCD block we can use to see OSD Telemetry so we don't have to tie up a real LCD monitor for simple text information that could just be displayed on a calculator screen that you strap to your controller whatever it be.

16. Steve Maller

These things have been around for a long time. But they're not super reliable, and I can tell you from experience that if I'm watching an FPV downlink screen and/or goggles, I'd much rather have that information overlaid there than have yet another screen to look at.

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/33700/product.aspx

[​IMG]

17. Bo Kostelac

Bo Kostelac New Member

18. Steve Maller

I've decided to go ahead with the 14SG because that's what Freefly are using and that's what they recommend. And I like the idea that my ALTA will match the test units they have.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That is the Futaba 14SGH on offer from Freefly for the ALTA -- note that it's not a "helicopter version." It's actually a single model of transmitter that can be configured either for single main rotor helicopters or fixed wing aircraft.

Steve will have to confirm for the ALTA, but the normal aircraft model used for multi-rotor copters is the fixed wing model, strange to say.

Note that the model from BH Photo does not appear to include any receivers. You might be better off ordering it on-line from Freefly as, with FF's configuration, you get two R700SB receivers. http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/alta-accessories/products/futaba-14sgh

Andy.

20. Bo Kostelac

Bo Kostelac New Member

Wow, I am blind! I went straight to controllers, noticed it wasn't there, and proceeded to b&h. Great, now I have to order another receiver. R7008SB receiver? Package came with one so I guess I just need to order the second one. For anyone reading this, don't make the same mistake I did! =/