/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian stucked in Bootloader mode, can't upgrade firmware

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Filip Brazdil, May 15, 2013.

1. Filip Brazdil

Filip Brazdil New Member

Hello guys.

I am having a big issue! We are at 3 day film trip....at first day we turned on CS 3axis gimbal as usually (we are using it every day, with no issue at all) and suddenly one radian not initialized. I have realized that it is stucked in bootloader mode. We have tried so many things. We have tried to reflash the firmware, we have tried some solutions with jumper (connecting GND + signal pin on 6 or 5 port), we have tried another power supply...nothing helped :X

I am getting an error during FW upgrade - it shows version 255:255 System - Undefined:Undefined. When i hit program new firmware i get an error - Program Failed (Program error).

I have tried 3 kinds of firmware, and still same issue (1.03 (34-99) + 1.03 (37-99) + 1.02).

Please we have so many jobs planned in front of us, but without tilt roll we cant make it...

Looking forward to any advice, possible solutions, ..etc.

Thx - Copterfilm crew - Filip Brázdil

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Filip:
    Sorry to hear of this situation.
    I think you may have to contact your dealer about the problem Radian.

You may want to convert the gimbal to be a 2-axis gimbal, by removing the problem Radian sensor and replacing it with the pan Radian sensor. You can tie one or two of the 3-axis gimbal booms to the Cinestar's booms to prevent the gimbal rotating in the pan axis. Obviously this is not the best for your shoot, but it may allow you to get some footage.

I have emailed the Radian's designer for you and ask if there is any other workaround.

Andy.

3. John Cunningham

Hi Filip,

I'm afraid the 'undefined:undefined' means that the EEPROM inside the Radian has been wiped. This includes the system ID, serial number and IMU config so I'm sorry to say it's dead until it can be reprogrammed with a special programmer and the IMU recalibrated.

I'm not sure what causes this problem : it's rare but I have seen it a few times. These issues are usually related to 'brown out' when an module has servo motors connected so close, especially if the power supply cannot hold voltage under the high loading.

My only suggestion is to use 2 radians as tilt and roll and fly the pan yourself, and get the dealer to ship a replacement overnight or something.

Sorry I can't help more.

JohnC.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the rapid response, JohnC.
    Andy.

5. Filip Brazdil

Filip Brazdil New Member

Well...thats not a good news.... i have to say... bad news :/// ....arggh. Never mind...i will try to contact Matjaz from Kopterworx if he is able to send us one unit as soon as possible! I would give anything for one unit now...we have so many jobs in front of us and cant handle this problem for a long time.... How fast can you send us to Czech Republic one unit? We will send our wiped unit back also as soon as possible...but now we have to solve it somehow realy FAST! What is the nearest dealer? DHL will ship it really fast...

We will try to make it functional just on 2-axis but thats no a solution :/ ....

Does anybody have phone number to Matjaz from Kopterworx? .... please, any idea of possible solution wanted!

Thanks a lot...

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Filip:
    We (the moderators) are all volunteers -- none of us work for Freefly nor Quadrocopter, so we cannot answer your shipping question I'm afraid, and we're scattered across the USA and not even that near to Freefly or Quadrocopter.

In which country are you located? I can see that Gary has sent you the web sites for Brazil, but are you there?

Kopterworx is in Slovenia and their contact information (from www.kopterworx.com) is as follows -- they don't show a telephone number as far as I can see. You may have to go through International Directory Enquiries. Note the text I've highlighted in red below.

Andy.

--

General email: info@kopterworx.com

Tehnical support: support@kopterworx.com

Order / purchase questions: order@kopterworx.com

Aerial questions: aerial@kopterworx.com
    Web shop: Kopterworx

Company detail:
    Earthline Matjaz Kranjcevic s.p.
    Grajska pot 14a
    8273 Leskovec pri Krškem
    Slovenia
    VAT: SI40592421

Unicredit Bank:
    Earthline Matjaz Kranjcevic s.p.
    IBAN: SI56 2900 0005 0567 606
    BIC/SWIFT: BACXSI22

Bank adress:
    UNICREDIT BANKA SLOVENIJA d.d.
    Šmartinska 140
    1000 Ljubljana
    Slovenia

Paypal account:
    paypal@kopterworx.com

General and sales enquiries and questions are welcome; for questions relating to set-up and or assembly please use the assembly in this site. We will endeavor to answer every email within 24-48 hours, please be patient if we are a little late responding. We are available for phone contact, so if your particular enquiry requires one on one communication, please email us for the relevant numbers. Technical questions relating to Mikrokopter electronics are best brought to the forums.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Man it is one of those days. Crossed my wires and read Filip's last name and tangled that up with where he was on his film shoot.... Kopterworx would be the closest.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You should worry, Gary. I had to look up where Slovenia was! :)

Andy.

10. Filip Brazdil

Filip Brazdil New Member

Well we are fro Czech Republic, so the nearest dealer for us is Matjaz from Slovenia - Kopterworx. We have bought mostly everything from him. We are now in conctact with freefly & kopterworx ...they promised us to do all their best to help us. We will see ...

Now when i know, there is no possible software solution, i can't do nothing than send the wiped RADIAN back to Kopterworx (Freefly). I was hoping for some possible software solution, some trick, something that will make our RADIAN functional.... but as far as I can see there is no possible solution of that issue.... we have to change from 3-axis gimbal to 2-axis gimbal and try to finish the shooting with this "handicap" ....

The question is - what caused this "WIPE" of RADIAN? How to prevent it in the future? Was it just coincidence? or bad luck? ...

We are using JETI 2.4GHz PPM receiver, 3A 5V BEC for powering all units together with 3S Li-Po 850 mAh. I can't really see any any other thing, that could caused the problem.... so we have no other chance than hope that the other RADIAN units will not doo the same.... now or in after a month, year, years.... I would like to rely on the tools that we are using for our job... :/

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Filip:
    I'm afraid I don't know what causes this failure beyond what JohnC says -- that operating the Radian's with marginally low voltage might do it. Going from memory, I don't think JohnC has ever been able to reproduce the problem (I may be misquoting him, so apologies if I am).

Do you have a LiPo low-voltage alarm on the LiPo that you use to provide power to the Radian sensors and servos? That's what I know several pilots use to prevent the Radian's supply voltage from just fading away.

The other possibility -- but this is pure speculation on my part and JohnC and others may wish to correct me -- is that the servos induce a fair amount of electrical noise on the DC supply -- they are both positive and negative-going spikes. You might want to take the precautionary measure of putting ferrite rings on the leads leading to the servos in the hope that that will reduce the noise.

But dealing with noise is more of an art than a science as far as I can tell -- so this may not be a certain way to fix the problem.

Anyone else got any ideas as to how to reduce this "firmware fade-away" problem?

Andy.

12. Rene Pompa

Rene Pompa New Member

Hi all I following this thread, I have a similar problem, I leave screenshot and a picture of paning Radian, hopefully they can help me fix it.
    The other two Radians, Tilt and Roll only have green led steady

Attached Files:

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

14. Rene Pompa

Rene Pompa New Member

Hi, it seems I'll have to buy a new Radian, but only for a test, someone will have an old firmware version 1.01 or 1.02, just to see if it works.
    greetings.

15. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi guys,
    I just got a two axis Av 200 set with radians, they were working good till I connected to the PC to change the RC input to PPM. It didn t connect so I tried to upload the firmware and now its stuck , both leds are fixed and it doesn t work:confused:
    Did you guys find the solution??
    I ve got a fotoshoot on wednesday and no spare radians, any chance of fixing it on the sppot?
    Many thanks!

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Alex:
    I've not seen that issue before. Usually the problem is getting them into boot loader mode...
    The best I can suggest is that you email support@freeflysystems.com right away and see if they have any ideas.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

Andy

17. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi Andy,
    The problem is exactly the same as the one discussed on this thread, it´s stuck in bootlader mode and won t conect to pc to upload firmware:confused:

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Alex:
    Sorry to hear that. I've no longer got an active Radian gimbal I'm afraid, so emailing FF is the best way to proceed.

Andy.

19. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi,
    Yep, contacted FF wich forward me on to the dealer wich now doesn t offer suport on Radians as they don´t sale them any more so back to FF and waiting for an answer:rolleyes: