/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MK redundant test copter project

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Oh, we have tried going back to a non-redundant setup, tried both FCs alone w the BL, if you can think of an iteration we have likely tried it 3 different ways! LOL

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

So it's *only* the redundant configuration that appears to fail. Hmmm. Can you check that all the boards share a common ground connection... just guessing...

Andy

3. Derek Cooper

*All* configurations fail with the BL, which points back to the BL.

Hadn't checked for common ground - good idea. It's all packed in the Pelican with the waybill awaiting FedEx pickup so at this point I think I'll let Royce chase down this problem. He'll have extra boards to check w to isolate the problem. 20 bucks says a different BL with my 2 FCs, Navi and GPS and all will be perfect. Our suspicion.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Sounds like the backup I2C buss on the power board has problems.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

New updates:

I updated the MK firmware to 2.09i and added the new GPS v3 shield board. The results are very good. Let's start with the GPS v3 shield board. Normally when I would hook up my MK tools to the copter inside my house I would normally see 4 or 5 locked in satellites. After switching to new board I was seeing an average of 11. When I took it outside I did a compass calibration as I added an external compass to this copter for the first time. When I checked the satellites I saw 15 to 16 satellites. I see this as a big safety factor if you are flying outdoors with partial tree coverage blocking some of the satellites.

I did a lot of hovering in position hold to see if it performed any better. I would say I definitely saw a small improvement in the overall position hold. It locked in very well. I will try to get some footage with in hover up later. With the 2.09i updates Holger made a change in the SPI communication where some data is now transferring faster and some slower. Between the two upgrades I did notice an improvement.

GPSv3.jpg

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Derek Cooper

Great information Dave - is 2.09i still the beta version? I haven't checked.

GPS V3 + GPS Shield sounds intriguing - 15 to 16 sats is sweet.

As for my update - we did confirm that I received a bad redundant BL. I pulled my 2 FCs, Navi and GPS electronics off my drone and shipped everything to Royce in a Pelican and he ran a battery of tests on his end. He confirmed all my electronics were fine, bad BL. Just my luck. Should have everything back via UPS in a few days. Thanks Quadrocopter for the quick turn-around. Snow is melting here and we're dying to get the drone back in the air.