/dist/images/branding/favicon

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hugh Bell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Dustin Poteet

Dustin Poteet New Member

Hi Im Dustin Poteet and I started operating the MōVI with Alex Buono (Director Of Photography, SNL Film Unit) on his Visual Story Telling Workshop Tour before it was released to the public during the Summer of 2013 while it was still a prototype. Since then Iv been working with one of Freefly's consultants in the LA area, but am still looking to pick up as much work as possible for my Reel. I love the technology, its definitely the highest quality gimbal out there, hands down!

Check out some MōVI Reel stuff here if you would like, cheers!

Email: dpoteet@rocketmail.com

-dp

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  2. suresh anima

suresh anima New Member

I am from India. We are a Production Equipment Hire House and also provide specialized services like Aerial and Cams filming.

Currently operating Movie m10

Would love to be able to meet and make more aerial filming friends!

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

4. W. Kern Hendricks

W. Kern Hendricks New Member

The birds are "robber jays" and the mountain is part of Mt. Rainier and the old guy is me. I own a manufacturing company in Auburn, WA and retired from active management last July. Now I'm 100% (LOL) involved in making product demo and how-to videos for our website (www.systemthree.com). Just purchased a MoVi M5, which will allow far better camera motion than we now have.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  5. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Great to hear W. if you need any help with getting familiar feel welcome to drop us a line. We are here in Edmonds with a Movi and a heavy lift copter. Been producing commercial imagery for the past 25 years.
    Cheers,
    J

6. Ralph Rigdon

Ralph Rigdon New Member

Hello! My name is Ralph Rigdon. I am excited to become a part of this great forum. I am from South Central United States (KY)
    My main interest is in, well everything that has to do with Aerial Multi-Rotor Photography and Cinematography. I currently fly several different multi-rotors from the DJI S1000+ to a Turbo Ace Matrix S,E,and I. I am always looking for better technology and If it works better and gives better results, then I want to explore that tech. I am looking at buying the Cinestar 8 and the New Alta Multi-Rotor. I would like to get some feedback from the members in this forum that would have first hand knowledge of this line of Multi-Rotors. I really respect the knowledge and experience that this forum has to offer. That being said, I look forward to getting to know all of you. If I can help in any way please don't hesitate to ask.
    Sincerely,
    Ralph

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Welcome to the Forum, Ralph.
    Best way to educate yourself is to read through some of the posts/threads on the subjects that interest you.
    The Cinestar line has been around for quite some time, but are still serving thousands of operators worldwide. Tons of information here.
    The ALTA is brand new and actually has not been released to the public yet, so very little is known other than what Freefly have shared so far.

8. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I guess the questions you should be asking yourself are what capabilities are looking for? It sounds like you already have a very robust set of equipment. Is it more payload capability? Which is always generally yes. Are you looking for the automation enhancements of the ALTA, etc.

Personally I like the CS8 frame for its simplicity and modular structure. I started out like most of us here on this forum with the 450 flat octo flying 4 cell on Mikrokopter flight control. It did the job, but not very well. It was very temperamental, required hours of tweaking to get it to fly well. In my opinion as a 4S setup it was way under powered especially at my altitude. Modifying it to a 6S setup it became a very formidable machine. DJI and all that is wrong with them, does one thing well and that is provides a very stable platform with there flight controllers, which is ultimately the most important facet to this stuff.

I fly a heavily modified 6S CS8 using DJI WKM and Freefly ESC's in a coaxial configuration. I get 8 minutes of flight time carrying a DJI Ronin gimbal and Black Magic 4K at a total gross weight of 28 pounds on a 16,000. I am using a modified Terot retractable landing gear set using CS8 450 boom arms for the legs to give clearance for the Ronin. I will never use the 3 prong system ever again except one leg makes a good antenna mast and front tail for easier orientation.

I plan upgrading to 500mm hexagonal boom arms that are from an aftermarket firm. This will make it more breakdownable in the filed, not having to worry if my motors are perfectly level. Also I will be putting on KDE 4014s with 18 inch props to enhance my flight time by 20% on the heavy side. The CS8 Plate is perfectly designed for 4 additional gimbal Dampers using a modified 8 point star plate.

At the end of the day the modular design of the CS8 is well poised to do what ever you want with the system. There is a guy who made a double Decker Cinestar X8 using 3 plates to make a 27inch prop driven 12S coaxial on Tiger U8's that can carry upto 60 pounds.

Hope that helps

Shaun

9. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Hello all. My name is Cody. Im in Sioux Falls,. South Dakota. I have a mikrokopter Ad-8 HL, and a DYS D800 X8. I just joined, and made a purchase after many hours of research for a Movi. I am excited starting to read the manual today. Will be posting more questions I am sure in the future, but have a very positive experience with Freefly so far with all who post and respond back.

"Hard work beats talent when talent does'nt work hard."-Tim Notke

10. Jake Lydick

Jake Lydick New Member

Greetings,

I am a commercial UAV startup. I am finishing up flight school and I'm deciding what equipment to list on my 333.

Freefly ALTA and m5 are rising to the top of my list.

My list of services will be commercial/industrial construction inspections, volumetric mapping, liDAR, VOC detection, Photography and videography (real estate etc)

Versatility is clutch for me as well as being able to fly in inclement weather-this is Pittsburgh after all.
    Alta payload leaves many options for me.

I'm here to read, learn, observe and buy.

Seems like a great community of pros. Glad to be here

11. Shaun Stanton

If you are in the 333 process inclement weather is not option despite if the system can handle it. When you get your exemption you will only be able to fly in day VFR only. On a tech note. Most of these systems are not going to fly in precipitation. They all handle winds fairly well depending on how heavy you load it up.

I would look at overall performance of the system and the planned weight of any payload you will carry. You will want to consider if your system can stay airborne with a motor loss.

12. Jake Lydick

Jake Lydick New Member

Since the finalized FAA regs are unclear, at least some regs which we are forced to operated under the exemptions are temporary. I am considering options for equipment that may be outside the current regulatory "condition".

I was under the impression that the Altas flight controller was exceptionally stable in windy or gusty conditions.

The ability to fly down a motor is certainly to be considered but im still unclear whether or not the alta is capable of that or not

I was thinking the alta would certainly be relevant 5 years from now and would be a system I could grow into.
    The Tayzu robotics titan x8 is the only other heavy lifter that I can find that has the option of the top gimbal. They say it'll fly down a motor with x amount of payload. The entire package didn't seem as well thought out and engineered as FF at least at a glance.

Thank you very much for the interest and points
    best

13. Shaun Stanton

If you read the 107 language in the proposed ruling day VfR seems to be a requirement.

I mentioned most multis handle well in wind.

The ALTA is well thought out machine compare to our antique cinestars in terms of a out of the box solution.

14. Ben Sheppard

Ben Sheppard New Member

Hi guys,

My name is Ben Sheppard, Managing Director and UAV Pilot at Spider Aerial Filming.

We have worked with the likes of ITV, Disney, The Garden Productions, Sunset + Vine and much more. Myself and my camera operator, Mike Bishop, have been on a huge journey so far as Team Spider, and are very much looking forward to getting to know like-minded individuals in the industry.

Something interesting about myself, I'm the only person who has flown a Drone inside of Buckingham Palace (as far as I know!)

Feel free to visit our aerial filming projects here.

Cheers!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Ben.
    Regarding Buck Pal: Was HM the Q amused? :)
    Andy.

16. Ben Sheppard

Ben Sheppard New Member

Thanks Andy, nice to meet you :)

HM the Q was very pleased with the outcome, so much so she nearly replaced her throne with a drone :p

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Uneasy lies the head that wears a drone.... so to speak.
    (Ask one of our resident gurus on the forum, Steve Maller. Check out his avatar image.)
    (And apologies to Bill the Shake, Henry IV, Part II).

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  18. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

LMAO :rolleyes:

19. Vincent Delmont

Vincent Delmont New Member

Hello,
    I am a french electronic technician and i'am happy to work with a new freely equipment for my firm: 2 movie M10 MR, 1 movi M5 and 2 ALTA. I'm working for a firm specialized in aerial shooting vehicle for fiction and advertising.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bienvenue sur le forum, Vincent.
    Est-il vraiment une différence entre la fiction et la publicité? :)
    ---
    Welcome to the forum, Vincent.
    Is there really a difference between fiction and advertising? :)

Andy