/dist/images/branding/favicon

HD wireless / what are you using???

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Guillaume MARION, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Guillaume MARION

Hi, I experiment Teradek Bolt 2000 last week with very bad issu....

Any one get safe HD reception up to 200m???

thanks in advance

2. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Boltpro/Bolt 2000. Been taking the 2000 out to 500m easy. I use a CP and Vitenna on the 2000 Tx, and on the RX do the same.

3. Guillaume MARION

think I done something wrong when using the Bolt, I didn't install all 5 antennas on the receiver, think this is the reason of bad experience!!
    Ryan Have you any link for your antennas?

4. Ryan McMaster

Uh... not installing the antenna is your problem. The unit could very well be fried now as the antenna are required while it runs.

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Paralinx Tomahawk.

1.2km from tracking vehicle to patch panel antenna.

It has changed the way I can work.

6. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

7. Ryan McMaster

On the road without my gear atm. Custom made CP's I just hand made them and covered em in liquid electrical tape. Vitenna is from Iftron its just another form of CP. I use on the Tx unit one CP and one stock, on the Rx I use one vitenna one handmand CP and the rest stock. This gives the most diverstiy in signal. Contact Teradek for details as I was told what I did voided my warranty~

8. Tim Sessler

Talked to the Teradek support today and they said I could use ANY 5.8Ghz antenna for the Bolt 2000 without losing or voiding the warranty. Also they would not give any recommendations or suggestions for antenna upgrades - so I'll give the CP/Vitenna combo a go. I'll report if and what kind of advantage those antennas give...

9. Ryan McMaster

10. Tim Sessler

Ok - finally got to test the Bolt 2000.

I tested it on my street in Brooklyn - a friend mine was driving away with the transmitter mounted to the roof of his car. It wasn't perfect LOS at all times as we had school buses, trash pickup trucks etc. in between the Tx and Rx at times. The result was impressive though.

Round 1 with the stock antennas: I started getting some weird artifacts in the highlights around 1000' - but the overall image quality was still good, smooth playback and I didn't lose the signal until 1,500'.
    The great news: It directly reconnected as soon as Tx and Rx came back into range.

Round 2 with one CP and Vitenna on the Rx and one CP on the Tx: The range was exactly the same though it seemed that I had less artifacts in the highlights.

Overall I was very impressed to get 1,500' in NYC, which must be one of the worst places to test a long range video downlink.

I am curious to test it on our X8 next and see if there is any different behavior once its airborne.

11. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I did an Air to Air shoot recently.

I was in a squirrel helicopter operating the Shotover P1 Gimbal, following a hero plane. (We spent 25 hours of air time on this shoot).

I had my grip rig the Paralinx Tomahawk into the back of the hero plane, with the Patch Pannel Antenna facing backwards, and the transmitter was rigged in the middle of the cabin of the Squirrel. (We had some specific shots that we wanted to achieve, and the pilot of the plane wanted to have a reference monitor. We rigged up a small TV Logic for him). So, both antennas had quite a lot of perspex, fibreglass etc to get through).

It was pretty amazing. The range was impressive, we held picture most of the time, and it saved a huge amount of communication time. The plane pilot could see my shot in real time and adjust his position to my frame when needed. (This was especially useful when lining up with important background landmarks, and also when we lined up with another aircraft that had limited flight controls).

Being able to use the Tomahawk like that was a revelation. Air to Air is always challenging, and this set up made it a whole lot easier.

12. Ryan McMaster

Just added these antenna to our kit this week.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1026

On a standard 500w iftron tx with a RHCP on a fixed wing, with a diversity receiver running a RHCP and helical linked above I am seeing close to 3km range open land (did not go further due to being nervous). Have not had a chance to test in the city but the signal was clear with little to no noise the whole ride. I kept the plane in front of me the whole time in the "helical cone" and had no issue. A quick fly over caused a bit of fuzz out but it quickly returned once the RHCP on the receiver picked it up and I landed.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread...Hz-VIDEO-LINK-(AND-SIMPLER-OPTIONS)-EXPLAINED

Good read on 5.8 video links. I would say the way to go with the bolt would be a pair of RHCP on the TX (vitenna works too), On the Rx RHCP perpendicular to the ground (for overhead flight), RHCP parallel to the ground, Helical that the gimbal operator points at the rig (or build an antenna tracker, they can be a real pain, but well worth it), and one stock antenna.

Ill test out the 2000 with the helical when I get home, but as far as I can tell with the iftron and new antenna set I am sold.

Tim Sessler likes this.
  13. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

"I am curious to test it on our X8 next and see if there is any different behavior once its airborne."

I tested the 2K and I will say it gave me a perfect HD signal as far as I wanted to go with my Cinestar and still feel comfortable. I know that thing will go further and I love it!

14. Ryan McMaster

Unfortunately still on the road, but a bit of an update:
    We used a Bolt 600 yesterday with RHCP/LHCP and Right hand/left hand helicals/CP's on the receiver. We never once had a signal drop and easily took the bolt 600 out to 1000ft. The signal dropped at 1050ish but came right back when we got into the helical field again.

The setup is as follows:
    One RHCP and one LHCP on the tX pointed with the lobes parallel to the ground.
    On the Rx, Left/right antenna mounts are 7 turn left and right hand helicals, on the TOP left and right mount we used a LHCP/RHCP antenna and in the middle we used a vitenna. This gives the best coverage and we never lost signal. It's a bit expensive to get all the antenna (about $600) but when you factor the cost of your Bolt600/2000 it makes the investment that much better. Going to be doing a ground test with the same setup on a Tero today.