/dist/images/branding/favicon

Video antenna fell off in flight!

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Steve Maller, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I vaguely remember fiddling with my vTX antenna in the shop whilst moving things around on the copter. But whatever the reason, today when I was testing my heavy lifter, the damn thing just fell off. Fortunately I was only 20 feet or so off the ground, and maybe 30-40 feet away from my launch position. But the funny thing is that the GoPro that was hanging under the copter caught the whole thing.

Not exactly a classic "brown trousers" moment...more like a "WTF" moment. I'm sure glad I'm flying a X8 coax, or else that big RHCP 1.3gHz antenna might have made a mess out of one of my props (or worse). As it is, it just fell harmlessly to the ground. :eek:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Check your transmitter is still working properly, Steve -- typically transmitters get very upset when there is no antenna presenting an electrical load to the final output stage. You may not notice a problem until you get the transmitter some distance away from the receiver.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Good point. It was working just fine after I reattached it, but I was still quite close in.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've also noticed that those small screw-thread SMA connectors can vibrate loose -- so I secure them with a piece of PVC tape (aka "bodge tape" by glider pilots) around them.

Andy.

5. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

I dab some hot glue on the end. Same basic idea though=)