/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best daylight monitor with HDSDI to HDMI Conversion

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Ben Ruffell, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Hello,

In the market for a monitor to live on the Movi M10 that I just ordered.

It needs to be daylight viewable. Nice and bright.

It needs to have HDMI to HDSDI Cross Conversion.

It needs to be very lightweight.

I will mostly be running my Epic, and I already own the SDI Bolt. So, I want a monitor that can work with an HDMI camera, and then feed out to the bolt.

The Small HD DP7-Pro-High-bright and the TV Logic VFM-058W are on the shortlist.

Any others that I should consider?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've got a couple of the DP7-Pro HB's and they're impressive. The front of the screen is a polycarb sheet and it's glossy....but the image is so bright that you really don't notice that. The default setting for the cooling fan is pretty noisy but you can vary the setting or turn it off, and the "smart screen" that brings up the options menu when your hand comes within about 6" of the screen will drive you bonkers if you (or the DP) like to point at the screen...but you can turn that off too.

The DP7 sucks a fair amount of power. About 1.2A at 13V.

You really can see the image on the screen in bright daylight. I've not actually tried with direct sunlight falling on the screen, but certainly bright sunny summer days.

Andy.

3. Ben Ruffell

Thanks Andy,

Not sure if I am too worried about power. My plan is to put a V Mount on the cross bar to power the Epic, Bolt and Monitor. I own a bunch of 95wh and am happy to buy smaller ones if the weight is an issue.

Other monitors I have here are the Bon FM-072SCH and it's good in sunlight, but a bit heavy and I think I will use it at the remote control end.

Any other thoughts?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've only used SmallHD's over the recent years, I'm afraid Ben (DP1, DP4, DP6 and now DP7), so I'm really not competent to talk about the Bon.

I think you will find that weight is an issue -- even with just a DP4 and a 5D Mk III with 24-105 on it, I was finding that hefting it for more than 15 minutes made me look around for places to park it. The DP7 is rather heavy (around 700 grams) -- you better start doing upper body workouts!

Andy.

5. Ben Ruffell

Thanks Andy,

My plan is to have my dolly grip move the rig, and I will be at the joystick. (Thats how we operate all of the various cranes and hot heads to date, it work well, and he is a big unit. If the weight is reasonable… we should be fine).

Working out the power and video distribution to cover Epic, C300, Black Magic and 1Dc is where the challenge is.

Does anyone make a super flexible lightweight Red Epic power cable?

What is the lightest weight V Mount battery available? (with a D Tap)

What is the best V Mount plate that has a D-Tap out? That we can rig to the cross bar and power all the accessories and camera with.

Does not look like the new TV Logic is available yet. I will order in the DP7 Bright.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I believe there's a thread on the forum for Red Epic power cable, Ben.
    Wish I knew the answers to the other questions, but I don't -- but hopefully other forum members will.

Andy.

7. Gorka Rotaeche

Hi Ben.
    I have a V mont plate with a long sound speaker cableb (16 AWG). It powers the Epic , FF (Bartech digital),HDMI splitter and the Radian video trasmiter. I use the Red´s batteries that comes with the camera rental house. This maner you save with. The Epic is tooooo heavy. I take the battery in a back pack.

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Thompson

Boland is launching a new 7" daylight HD SDI monitor at NAB; stay tuned.

9. Ben Ruffell

I am waiting for a demo of the new TV Logic.

I briefly used the new Small HD on a film last week…just as a directors monitor - and I am now thinking that it's a bit big for the crossbar. It's only for framing after all.

10. Michael Elsegood

Hi Ben

I have the tv logic 056wp

There is an issue in that the hdmi to sdi conversion does not work correctly in 50hz, only in 60hz. Worth checking out if the new version supports cross conversion in 50hz countries

Interestingly, the alphatron EVF I also own, made by TV logic, converts the signal correctly.

Hope that helps

11. Ben Ruffell

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much. That is really interesting… the cross conversion at 50hz is pretty much the only reason I am looking at this monitor.

I have reached out to the dealer for his thoughts. (Still waiting for a demo unit).

12. alain baars

alain baars Member

I have the TV Logic 58, since a couple of days, it's very nice to work with, downside is that is doesn't do LUT

13. Ben Ruffell

I have had the TV Logic 58 for a while now, but only using it as an AC monitor.

Have ended up only running Dragon in the rig, so the conversion has never been necessary.

I have the new tiny Transvideo attached to the MoVI Controller, and thats great for quick shoots. On bigger ones I sit in front of my 17".

(I have never needed a LUT for framing). On some jobs I do a LUT for the Agency, but thats about it, and never with Alexa or Red.

14. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Ben,

What large monitors are you using on location? We like the idea of having a larger monitor on set, particularly for the camera operator to watch when flying the drones. I know you're using 17" monitors - what do you like?

I like the idea of the Flanders "package," here:

http://www.shopfsi.com/BM210-Field-Package-p/bm210.fieldpkg.htm

This monitor could double as a reference monitor in post too, which is nice. But the price is up there.

15. Michael Elsegood

I have a couple of the Flanders BM210 (including VESA mount and the bag/hood)

These are by far my favourite field monitors on set.

Flanders are also extremely good with firmware updates, adding new features all the time.

16. Ben Ruffell

I own the Sony OLED 17" in a road case that goes straight onto the stand.

I like it because the picture is very accurate, and it matches the 7" that I have for the director.

There is a newer version that is lighter weight.

17. Derek Cooper

Mike - you find the FSI bag / hood provides enough protection when moving the gear? I just picture a vehicle full of Pelican boxes and curious how sturdy you find the bag / hood.

Ben - I'll check out the Sony, thanks. OLED... likely pricey! ;-)

18. Derek Cooper

Ok, I had to share this.

Flanders Scientific goes out of their way to provide customer service. I received a phone call yesterday (Sunday in Canada) from Adam at Flanders. He wanted to talk to me on SuperBowl Sunday so he could address some of the questions I had about their products.

In the end, I followed Michael's lead and ordered a BM210 field kit (case with integrated hood, VESA to c-stand mount, shield, V-mount plate, blah blah blah). Said 2 to 3 weeks delivery, but Adam reached out to me again on my order and said he's get it to be well in advance of an up-coming shoot on the 14th of February.

If that isn't impressive customer service in this day, I don't know what is! Now lets just hope the product lives up to expectations! Oooh.

19. Michael Elsegood

Hi Derek,

The bag hood is well padded and fairly rigid. I travel with it exactly how you suggested.

When I travel overseas or interstate I put the whole lot in a Pelican case. It fits perfectly, however I can't recall the Peli # off the top of my head.

Great units.

All the best

20. Derek Cooper

Pelican 1650

http://goo.gl/QPFwaw

While we're on the subject - pickup a few of these iKan batteries if you use V-mounts to power your Flanders

http://goo.gl/tVXY3p

$100 bucks off right now at B&H! I ordered a few this week. Apparently just as good as the IDX ones I use now.