/dist/images/branding/favicon

2.4ghz follow focus not a problem?

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by Tristan Twisselman, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I know running 2.4ghz video downlink is a bad idea with 2.4ghz radio control....why is follow focus any different. Is it ok to use a follow focus running on 2.4ghz?

2. Tristan Twisselman

Anyone? Looking at the spectrum analyzer it appears that at the very top and very bottom of the 2.4ghz spectrum aren't used by spectrum or futaba. Would love to hear from someone who is safely doing this though.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tristan: I think you may be a pioneer in this regard, but I think you might want to ponder:

1. On a copter with a 2.4Ghz video downlink, you have the command and control receiver trying to listen to the ground transmitter while the video downlink is blasting away at RF power output from 250mW to 1.5mW depending on the model of video transmitter.

2. With the MōVI, you have two devices that are primarily receivers, but also acting (at least for the MoVI) as a low power transmitter (sending MoVI status back to the MōVI controller.

I suspect the MōVI controller is (a) using digital packets, (b) the transmitter and receiver are "bound" to each other so the data packets are identifiable, (c) are using "frequency hopping" so they don't just squat on one channel, and (d) the lower power "transmitters" on the MōVI should make life easier.

All this adds up to the glorious phrase we use in the software business: "It should work." (Usually followed by: "....but...but...I only changed one thing..." :rolleyes: )

Andy.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  4. Tristan Twisselman

Local company gave me one of their prototype wireless follow focus systems to use and test for them with our type of application. My prototype has an external antenna and is 3D printed; The actual product will be made of plastic and they just got the molds and everything for that done and should have the final product by the end of the year, also the production version will have the antennas internal. Can be used to control focus or zoom and is much cheaper than many of the alternatives. Here are a few pics as i mock it up on my rig. I will be using and testing it next week and ill post more photos/video of the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Tristian, that looks interesting. Please keep us informed about your results.

6. Tristan Twisselman

Working great so far for handheld stuff and even aerial shots. I only have one at the moment so I can only control focus or zoom with it but with two you could control each one. I have used it as a follow focus on the ground handheld and it works great. I have also set it up to control focal length mid flight. While this obviously is not as ideal due to balance it does have its place. I have been flying at say 24mm, wanted to get a quick close up shot without having to land and rebalance and was able to wirelessly set my focal length, then use my shutter trigger to have the camera focus on its own at that distance, then start recording again and do the shot. The system is more geared towards focus for us of course because of the balancing of the gimbal but certain conditions and shots it can definitely work and work very well. Anyone looking for a wireless follow focus system or zoom i would highly recommend this one especially because it is MUCH cheaper than its competitors. I will for sure be purchasing one of the production units and post pics once i get one. One thing I need to check in the air that I forgot to check is range. Ill report back once i do

7. Emdy Jones

Emdy Jones New Member

hi Tristan, what is it called?

8. Tristan Twisselman