/dist/images/branding/favicon

Ecalc configurations

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by Gustavo Rios, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hello,

What values ​​most important that we have to keep in mind when viewing some configurations in Ecalc, I know that all be important but not ever we have the ideal together.
    Another point, how close to reality information gives this software of help, someone who can provide information?

Thanks,

Gustavo.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gustavo all values are important. The ones that will have the largest impact are weight, motors and props. Usually within 10% or so of actual.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Don't forget to enter the elevation of your location. A copter which flies very nicely on sea level might have problems flying at 2000m ASL.

4. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

yes, I've realized , that's why I say that not always find the ideal all together

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

It's important to built a copter which is not working at the limits. For this matter, the most important part is the motor and prop selection. (And ofcourse ESCs).

I think, building a copter for all kind of payloads is kind of hard. For heavy lifting applications, it's important to draw the limit, AUW. You need to plan the copter alltogether with your gimbal and camera system, customer needs, and locations you might need to film. Build a copter within these lines and give some headroom for the copter.

Speaking for myself, even I live and mostly shoot in sea level, I plan the copter to shoot at 2500m ASL since I also shoot at these places sometimes. When the copter is very powerful, I just put one smaller size prop on the copter and most of the time I'm good to go.

Ofcourse this doesn't mean you can throw any prop over a motor; there are lower and upper limits of the motors. When overpropped, your motors will get hot; you can even burn your ESCs. That's why we should also know in what kind of climate we are working. For instance, If you are in cool country, a 55A ESC will do the job for you; but if you are in hot climate, maybe you will need to upgrade the ESC to 75A version.

For instance, what do you want to carry with your new build?

6. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

I have a CS6 (QC3328 and APC 14x4.7) and I want to make an upgrade to heavy lift, currently I load a gimbal with a total weight of 2.5kg (including a GH2 camera), the CS6 weighs something like 2.5kg. My flight times are around 6 minutes with 4s and 6A and 7:30 with 8A, the motors go warm, I want to extend my time and can load a camera more heavy. My flights are on sea level but I want to eventually fly over 4000 asl.

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I would recommmend you to look at @Ryan McMaster's Cinestar 6 copter:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/cs6-with-new-mk-hexa-xl-v3-combi.4966/#post-51368

He is using Tiger MN4012-480KV motors with 15" props and MK Hexa XL Combi ESCs. And getting 20+ minutes flight time with double 10A batteries loaded with Movi M5 + Sony A7s.

This is a very good setup to carry mid size camera (GH4, Sony A7s 5D MKIII). You wouldn't wanna carry more weight with a Hexa since the redundancy is very limited.

I also would recommend you to get foldable prop adapter and get DJIs 15x5.2 foldable props for these motors. These are very cheap and works very well.

8. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

When you use I2C converter, you loose the ability to see the current, voltage (on FC2.1 and FC2.2), ESC Temp telemetry info on the TX.

Some users find the I2C setup almost similar to BL Ctrl setups, some users find it not that stable. I never had experience with I2C setups even I have a few converters in my hand.

Personally, I wouldn't go with I2C route unless you are really tight on the budget. Probably you will need to play with Gyro settings, I2C converter settings etc to make it work right. On the other hand, you will have perfectly working and stable CS6, with 1500$ total budget.

10. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

I want to spend less, I just saw a CS8 used for $1400 but is not the idea. Other thing, the Hexa XL V3-Combi have a 6 ESC integrated, If fail one and be have to change the entire card?, is so?

11. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

12. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

To measure the voltage of the battery I use the Tx spektrum s8000 connected to a positive point and the temperature of the bl's one xbee, I have a DX8 Radio.