/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can handle a little wind??!

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Sam Donaghy Bell, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sam Donaghy Bell

Just finished a shoot. We started at 6 in the morning by the sea. It was clam and there was no wind. The footage looks great.

The day went on and the wind picked up a little, nothing too taxing but all of my footage with a little breath of wind is unusable in my opinion. It was like going back the the servos and pullys. Jerky and bouncy and not what I think should happen with a little wind.

Any clues??

It was a 5D Mkiii 11-16mm lens. Everything balanced fine and tuned about 5 points below oscillation point. In both airborn and handheld modes. Tried both to see if it would help. It didn't.

Another shoot tomorrow on a beach, there's gonna be wind, is it gonna be a waste of time?!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think we're going to see some of the video Sam, as well as get some understanding of the specific set-up you're using. Is this an M5 on a Cinestar? Which flight controller are you using? Assuming it's an MK, do you have a GPX file from the flight we can look at?

The short answer to your question is that the setup should indeed be able to handle "a little breath of wind..." and then some.

Did you have a lens hood on the camera? Or anything that could act as a "wind sail?"

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

It should especially look fine at 11-16. I fly mine regularly at 24-105 on my cinestar even in slight wind at 105 it is smooth.

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Sam, can you post a footage?

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Nono, a little wind does not hurt if everything is properly balanced and the gimbal well tuned.

Regards from Sweden.

6. Sam Donaghy Bell

I'm trying to get hold of some footage. Could someone maybe post a video of their balancing process. I'm certain I'm doing it right but it was just as windy as Janne's video but nothing like as stable.

Thanks

7. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Tabb shows you how;

8. Sam Donaghy Bell

Yeah I've done all these, well used to it thanks Janne :)