/dist/images/branding/favicon

Case for Movi Controller

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Ben Smallbone, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ben Smallbone

Ben Smallbone New Member

I know I saw someone post about this somewhere but can't find it for the life of me. What size pelican case fits the custom cut foam that comes with the controller? The cardboard box is getting worn out!

2. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Denise from Freefly mentioned that its the Pelican 1500 case.

3. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Thanks Drew!

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I'm testing a design to fit into the Pelican 1510. I love that Freefly made the foam to fit an existing case, but I wanted to make one a little bigger. I have a couple extra slots for paralinx and monitor and other stuff. It should be here in a couple of weeks and when it is I'll post pictures. Obviously the shape of the controller means making custom foam difficult so it's entirely possible my design won't fit well, but only time will tell.

Leopoldo Tamargo likes this.
  5. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi,

I baught a peli 1500 three days ago just before going to an event to present the Freefly MoVi stuff. The foam fits perfectly in it and it's a pleasure to have something immediatly available.
    I'm gonna works on foam for the other MoVi system as we don't have affordable system in Europe. Jason case are really nice but importing these case is just impossible: the freight fees are calculated on the volum. I let you imagine the price to import 10 MoVi m10 cases...

6. Austin Glass

Just got my test foam in today, and I wanted to share…

I designed the monitor slot to hold a DP7, which is currently in the shop, which is why the one currently in there doesn't fit very well.

IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1754.JPG

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  7. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Very nice cut Austin :)
    Did you ask a company to do it with your drawings ?
    May we have an idea of the cost of the foam+cutting ?

Best regards,
    Cedric

8. Austin Glass

So for this foam, I ordered from MyCaseBuilder.com and did they drawings myself on their site. I had to draw the shape of the controller in a CAD program, then import that shape into the web interface and trace it. The trace tool is pretty handy but not the most elegant, but it got the job done. The foam is snug, but not too snug, so I'd say it worked out. I gotta say I was a little nervous about everything up until I actually put the controller in the foam, but all is well. I've since modified my design for the controller's cutout to make it work a little better, so next time I make one of these it should be improved.

The design took about 6-8 hours of my time, but the total cost including shipping was around $125.

This is a Pelican 1510, by the way. I don't think I noted that before.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What's your billing rate per hour, Austin? <cheeky grin>

Andy.

Leopoldo Tamargo likes this.
  10. Austin Glass

Normally, it's peanuts. I usually work for peanuts.

Cashews are acceptable as well. ;)

11. Even Sigstad

Even Sigstad New Member

I made a version out of the 1510 myself, but only with the foam that came with the controller. Added some foam on the side, put the monitor in the cover of the peli and put a quick release on the bottom, so its easy to put the whole case on a tripod. Ground station ready to go in 30 seconds, works really good! Our operators usually end up using the controller while its laying in the peli, don`t have to take it out!
    bilde 1.JPG bilde 2.JPG bilde 3-1.JPG bilde 4-1.JPG

12. Derek Vincent Smith

Derek Vincent Smith New Member

this is so tight. I have a TBS ground station that mounts on a tripod, a movi controller pelican (storm2250) and a DIT pelican with a monitor in the lid(also storm 2250)... A groudstation/controller pelican with a single battery and a quick release plate bolted on is an awesome idea.
    Are you mounting a circular helical 5.8ghz antenna on top for an AV downlink? It seems the picture range would reach further than the Movi controller... is this true?
    Also if your picture is at 5ghz, and controller at 2.4ghz... what frequency is the pilot operating on? uhf? both camera and copter on 2.4?
    I use the TBS(teamblacksheep) groundstation with a a small quad flying a gopro4.. im receiving video from a lawmate 2.4ghz vtx and flying the quad via EZUHF Jr Module on the Taranis x9d.. i havent put my M5 or M15 in the sky yet, but i am using them on a Honda Ruckus, the Tero and a 250ccVespa.
    Ive found that the Paralinx Arrow+ is not reliable past 40-50ft in the city.
    Has an AV vtx been sufficient with your groundstation setup?
    Is the Movi Controller giving you enough distance in the air?

Also can anyone tell me if it is possible to put higher gain antennas on the Movi Controller?