/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian programming software

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Jim Gilley, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Jim Gilley

Jim Gilley New Member

I recently purchased a used Cinestar 2-axis gimbal with Radians, but I am unable to find the programming software and without it the Radians are useless. I was able to locate a programming cable from a dealer in Taiwan, but Freefly support told me the Radians are no longer supported and they would not provide me the software. Can anyone please help? Otherwise it looks like I've wasted quite a bit of money. Many thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm out of the office right now, Jim....but I can send you the software tomorrow. Don't worry...if you've got the programming cable you're in good shape. Please email me at ajohnsonlaird a t me.com so I have your email.

Thanks
    Andy.

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

4. Jim Gilley

Jim Gilley New Member

Thanks all, especially to Andy. I have everything working now and all is well. Anyone have any suggestions on gain and rate (Canon 5D2 w/ 40/2.8 pancake on there)? I am using 75 for gain and 60 for rate. It's a bit twitchy and my RC control of pitch seems slow, but it certainly works. I am only doing aerial stills and thus do not need to worry about many things that are of major concern to video shooters.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear that you've got it working....there really are no "right" settings, I'm afraid. It's all a question of fine tuning it. Certainly if the gain is too high, it will oscillate, and if it's too low it will be sluggish. The real trick is to realize that the "sweet" spot might be a value of, say, 73, so going from 70 to 75 might actually produce suboptimal results without you ever realizing that there is a sweet spot. The whole thing depends on the masses in motion and natural resonant frequencies of the camera, the gimbal, and the interaction with the copter above it.

That's one of the reasons why the MoVI's autotune function is so useful because it waggles the M5 and senses what is happening...not that I'm try to do an upsell on you! :)

Andy.