/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying UAV in Canada non-commercial

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Derek Cooper, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hi Folks,

Can people share their experience flying UAVs in Canada for hobby purposes i.e., non-commercial? Commercial needs permits - know that. Curious what best practices are when flying for your own enjoyment.

Just spec'ing a Cinestar X8 and looking forward to the day it's finally ready to fly.

Cheers,

Derek

2. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

For non commercial, you can fly anywhere you want...you know...with in reason. Basically same as flying a RC plane, heli, or small quad. Be forewarned though, there is some room in the commercial definition that if you do videography for any purpose, they could link a purpose built X8 like the CS8 to profiting your business and lump you in with commercial.

3. Derek Cooper

So who in Canada would question what I'm doing? Local police? RCMP? Norm from Cheers? :)

4. Duane Bradley

Probably nobody until you crash and damage something or someone. Where in Canada are you?

5. Derek Cooper

6. Duane Bradley

Ahh..I'm a west coaster...always looking for someone to fly with!

7. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Any word on traveling into Canada from USA with a HL rig? I have a potential shoot in Merrit, BC and have been hearing some countries are not allowing copters in. Just say its for personal use when I arrive in customs? I recently went to Colombia without any issues, but have been hearing horror stories of rigs being confiscated in Peru/Brazil.

8. Derek Cooper

Doubt you should lie at immigration. Tell them what you're doing honestly. They will likely detect your deceptive ways and then your copter will be the least of your worries.