/dist/images/branding/favicon

Performance comparison of several different ESCs

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If anyone's interested, I've just published an initial comparison of several ESCs. I used the good old "workhorse" QC-3328 motor and a Xoar 14x5" prop -- I'm still taking baby steps with the testing protocol and the post-processing software, so that's why I used those. I'll be moving on to heavy lifter motors and up to 28" props in the weeks ahead.

Specifically, I compared the Freefly ESC, the KDE Direct KDEXF-UAS55, Maytech 50A Opto with SimonK firmware, Castle Creations Phoenix Edge HV60, and the Tiger Motors 80A 400Hz. As you’ll see from the report, I'm trying to get some technical data from Mikrokopter so that we can test the BL-Ctrl v3.0 and I’ll update this report as soon as we get the data and can run the tests.

A link to the report, a bit pompously called a "Rather Good Guide® for Comparing Certain ESC with the QC-3328 and Xoar 14x5" Prop," is at http://rathergoodguides.com/document-guides/esc-motor-and-propeller.html

The report is available for free -- or you can donate if you feel so inclined, but that's entirely up to you.

Comments welcome.
    Andy

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice job Andy. As to the Tiger ESC's now I know why my dog was howling at what I thought was the moon when you were doing testing...

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Great experiment and work Andy. Interesting to see Freefly ESC's run almost twice as hot. It will be interesting to see how the results come out with different motors at 6S.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, gentlemen.

@Gary: Yeah, that 8Khz whining noise was a little tough to take. We had a few barking dogs in the neighborhood but they're mostly people...

My schedule is such that I hope to have the next batch of test up by the end of September. I'll be testing KDE motors with CF props.

Just ordered up a 0-50V 0-50A Bench power supply so I can test from 6S - 12S. Let's see what damage I can do with that... ;)

Andy.