/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery solution suggestions - V-mount vs alternative

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Derek Cooper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hey Gang,

So I'm looking at a consolidated battery solution for the M5 (not powering the M5, but rather accessories), a solution for RC controller with FPV video for copter flying, and lastly a solution for pulling focus.

I hate the idea of having 5 different battery types for each device - nightmarish.

I've started researching V-Mount batteries like the IDX series - something like the Duo 95. Has two D-Taps and one USB port on each battery. Would work well on the gimbal to power monitor (SmallHD DP4 now, Atomos Shogun when it ships using their funky battery adapter plate to D-tap), remote focus pulling (like the ikan Remote Air One - interesting price point), and an HD transmitter (think Paralinx or even the Teradek Clip).

I know these V-mount batteries have been around for ages, but I've never worked with any of them. I come from the camera world (Hasselblad MF cams mostly). Is this a good direction to take for battery solutions? The IDX units are nice cause they have the integrated USB ports, can't seem to find any Anton Bauer ones with USB.

Thanks!

2. Derek Cooper

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Yes. We have made everything on our system V Mount powered. It is a global film standard (which is why it is so frustrating that power distribution was not considered by Freefly at all in their design).

4. Derek Cooper

Can you describe the solution you came up with? I look at the idx duo series for their USB power for rx transmitters, but there is no doubt a more streamlined solution? Need to power follow focus, smallhd and video transmitter.

5. Ben Ruffell

We have worked through 5 different prototypes now. We now have a distribution box, that outputs 4 pin lemo's for every device. My engineer may start selling them in the future, but for now, he's still in development mode.

6. Derek Cooper

Have you had a look at the IDX Duo series? 2 D-taps and a USB power output. In my mind, that might be the solution? D-Taps provide power to each of the follow focus and monitor, and the USB provides power to the video transmitter.

What I don't understand is why the Movi Controller has a 2-pin lemo to power the monitor, instead of 4 pin? Virtually impossible to find 2-pin, but 4-pin is everywhere, even on the SmallHD website as optional cable.

7. Ben Ruffell

Got sick of DTap, needed a more rugged solution.

Exactly… so many new manufacturers implementing hobby solutions, or reversing polarity on industry standards.. drives me nut. 5 minutes consulting with top level 1st AC's and they would make better products.

8. Derek Cooper

What drives you nuts about D-tap, is it too loose as a connection? I'm coming from the still world - shoot Hasselblad digital back cams. Just fascinated with video and where it's going. Have been playing with a Movi M5 and looking to extend functionality, so this World is a bit new - appreciate your feedback.

9. Ben Ruffell

D-Tap is not a professional solution. Lemo is. D-Tap is messy, and easy for the plugs to be inserted the wrong way in the field.

I have seen a couple of Small HD Monitors go up in smoke with the plug inserted the wrong way… guess they don't have correct fuse protection.

10. Derek Cooper

Yikes, messy indeed. And I was just starting to think IDX Duo 95s would be the solution. Two d-taps, one for each follow focus and monitor on Movi, and USB for transmitter. And the v-mount on the Controller would accept the Duo? Just have to find 2-pin lemo to barrel to power monitor on controller.

But maybe not given what you're saying?

11. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

For whatever it's worth, I use D-taps throughout my rig and have used them in countless productions, big and small. Has worked flawlessly every time.
    I agree with Ben. They're not the most rugged but, because of their relatively low cost, it's easy to make custom cables, and have plenty of backups around.

Hope this helps.

12. Derek Cooper

Yah, that totally helps.

I've contacted Freefly to ask them about 2-pin Lemo cables for powering monitors from the Controller units.

Does my logic on the Duo 95s make sense?