/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Set up 2 Axis Gimbal

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jei Swan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Hey guys. Ok i have the 2 axisgimbal and have been setting up the radians according to the schematic below which i got from support form quadrokopter.com

Graupner Radian Setup.jpg
    On the schematic I am being told to use chan 9 + 10 on the receiver (GR-24) to send signal to the radians.
    I have followed the usual(/the DVD that was given with the DIY Kit) settings for setting up the controls (Graupner MX 20) Chan 9 set to Control 10 (3 position switch) isn't connected to any thing, Chan 10 is connected to Switch 8, which is the Motor safety.

Also on the GR 24 the only connection I have is to the #8 connection on the receiver and that is going to the octo to control it.

if each input on the GR 24 corresponds to a channel how do i set this up.

i do Apologize if this sounds confusing but i am lost and trying to explain the best I can.

I dont mind loosing carefree mode but I need to keep the motor safety switch.

My control set up
    Chanel -> Position on Graupner mx 20 -> what function

5 - Sw2 - Altitude Hold
    6 - Control 10 - GPS
    7 - Control 7 (Knob) - Gimbal Nick
    8 - Switch 3 - Carefree mode
    9 - Control 9 - N/A
    10 - Switch 8 - Motor Safety
    11 - Control 7 (Knob) - N/A
    12 - Switch 9 - Camera shutter

2. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Also does any one have any links to a 2 axis radian walk through or set up? All im seeing are 3 axis setups.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I don't have my bird here with me or I might be able to be more help. But I had a conversation with QC support and made some notes on their diagram. My 2-axis is working great. All the question marks can be ignored...meaning my assumptions were correct. So double check your wiring and make sure it matches this.

image.jpg

Ryan McMaster likes this.
  4. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Its nice to know following you diagram i was thinking the same way, I spent some time yesterday making the mods to the wires and also need to work in how to power the Freefly HDMI converter in to this set up. Just not clear if i can connect the signal wires from the radians to any connection on the GR 24 or does it have to be slot 9 and slot 10. and does that change the channeling.

And since the tilt is being handled by the radian and flight controller how to I manually control the tilt angle

5. Steve Maller

Tabb Mentioned in another thread that he can power the HDMI converter directly from the Radians. And there is no connection between the radians and the flight controller. You will talk directly to the radians through the Grauppner receiver. I used channel 9 and 10 the way they suggest. And it just came out and worked fine. I use the dial to adjust the tilt control when you are in mode three on the radians. By that I mean mode one is powered off, mode 2 is stabilization only and mode 3 is control of the tilt angle using control number 8.

6. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

ill Take a look for that thread for the HDMI connection.

To sound dumb. I am connecting the cires to the slots marked 9&10 on the Gr24. and this wont have any effect on the channels that are already programmed to to occupied channels 9&10.

when you can can i get a more specific/detailed explain.

I have no clue what you are talking about here.

So you know my experience here with this type of electronics i knew nothing about this up un till a few weeks ago when i started assembling my cinestar 8.

7. Steve Maller

Have you watched the setup videos? Do you know how the Radians are designed to work?
    You assign a 3-position switch to them so that you can disable the Radians altogether (for takeoff and landing), turn on only stabilization (mode 2 I called it) and finally, enabling control of the tilt with CTRL 8 ( I think).

If you already have something on channel 8 or 9, you'll have to move it. But you also may be confusing channels with switches and POTIs. Andy wrote a great description of how they relate to one another.

It's quite easy to run out of channels. That's one of the reasons people go with a two-operator setup. I you have four hands you might be able to use two transmitters. Otherwise, things like motor safety and carefree might have to be disabled. I've eliminated both because I find them safety risks (ironically).

8. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

the only things i have seen have to do only with the 3 axis setups all i see are 3 axis set ups.. still been looking around for any other detailed information or vids. so yeah that said the only thing i know about the radians is that they replace the potentiometers, that i have to program them (need to figure out how) and thats about it.

You clarified another thought i have had assigning the radians to a 3 way switch. so on the HOTT that would be Control 9. Thanks for hte help and thanks for putting up with my lack of information/knowledge here. If you have any links to the radian info vids that help even more. but i shall continue looking.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry to come to the party late (I'm in the middle of a video shoot and only get to hit the forum on breaks) -- and thanks for your helpful advice, Steve.

The Radian videos are here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlKTld1e-W1yImvdV5nuJ8rgNgtozfYnX

The posting I wrote to which Steve refers explained the relationship between switches, channels, POTIs, and things that go bump in the night, is at http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/mk-lanc-connection-to-cx760.636/#post-7425 (Message #4).

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

10. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

This rocks. Thanks for all the info, Just converted my 3axis to a two for my new CS6. On the "power from ring" mark were are you guys pulling the power from? Directly where the battery solder points are? Also, Can I run a 2nd set of wires from said point to run my Teradek clip?

11. Steve Maller

You could pull power from the main power distribution board, but most use a separate 3S battery for the gimbal and other things. If you use the main power board, you should use one of the small 12V power locations, and solder on a small pigtail.

12. Ryan McMaster

That was what I figured. Got it all up and running just can't get it to talk to my GR 24 for some reason >< off to the videos!

13. Steve Maller

Probably that damn SUMO thing. It's a royal PITA. Andy J-L's Cinestar video has a very concise step-by-step procedure that I go back to every time I have to do that. And compass calibration, too. For the life of me I can't ever remember how to do either one.

14. Steve Maller

15. Ryan McMaster

haha I think it is a SUMO thing... On the other hand, I have mastered compascalibration-fu. Damn sierras have a ton of Iron in them and on most survey work I have to calibrate at least once a day.