/dist/images/branding/favicon

Video out settings for 5D Mark ii

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Dave King, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I just bought a 5D mark ii to replace my 7D. I use the AV composite cable coming out of the 7D and see the image through my downlink when I have live view on. When I plug the cable into the port the image on the screen goes off and goes to the downlink.

For the 5D however I can't get a signal coming out of the analog output. Live view is on and when i plug the cable in the picture doesn't switch. The cable also doesn't go into the port as smoothly as it does on the 7D which made me think that it wasn't the same connector. However looking at them closely and comparing I would say they are the same.

Is there anything goofy with the 5D settings that I should know about that might be causing this?

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I use the mini USB to get the video. I'll post a picture of the cable for you. I think you can get them at QC.

EDIT: It may take me a little bit to get the cable out for you, but it is a mini USB on one end and I had QC put a molex connector on the other. Then coming off my Mondo 5.8 transmitter I have the other side of the molex. I have the same molex connectors on my camera triggers so switching between the N3 and the other trigger type is easy as well as switching between any other camera's video out.

Here is the photo:

photo.JPG

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You got a Mark II or a Mark III? Is it used? Is it possible it's broken? My Mark IIIs work fine with that USB-ish cable. I have a couple different ones that I hacked up to just grab the video signal and the ground for the transmitter.

4. Dave King

Thanks Guys. Yes I have a mark II not a III. Yes its used. The mini USB cable fits good in the 7D but I need to force it a little for the 5D. The port might be broken. I"m going to test the mini HDMI in the am.

5. Michael McVay

Steve: I am not sure he is trying to use the USB connection for his video out. It kind of sounds like he is trying to use the little round (2.5mm maybe) analog A/V port instead. I have never tried to use that one before. It looks much like a mic input. Have you used that output for anything?

6. Steve Maller

That's not an output, AFAIK. But I have Mark IIIs, not a Mark II. The USB port on the Mark III doubles as an "A/V" port, and there's a breakout cable with Composite Video and L/R Audio.

7. Michael McVay

Dave: There are a couple types of the mini USB that would probably be a close fit. You might want to check the connector type you are using. The one that looks like mine is the bottom left corner of the image - USB-MINI5A. It has a bit of a bump on the top in the middle:

photo2.JPG

usb_connectors_02.jpg

8. Michael McVay

I use Mark IIIs also, but have a couple Mark IIs in my closet. I just went and grabbed one to take a look at it and the connectors have definitely changed between the 2 models. Here is a shot of the Mark II connections. Looks like it uses the other flatter mini USB and it does seem to have a different analog A/V out....I've never tried it.

Dave, I hope your camera is OK. Let me know if we can do anything else to help.

photo3.JPG

9. Dave King

Guys

Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I mean by Analog video. As you can see from the pictures below I believe the 5K connector is damaged. It appears that there should be a plastic part in the middle that this connector should have. I believe that's not the issue though. I believe the issue is in the bottom pin, its either bent or damaged.

canonvideo3.jpg

canonvideo1.jpg

10. Steve Maller

Dave, did you read Michael's post above? I don't think that's the right connector after all. The one you need is the Canon STV-250N, which is clearly a 1/8" plug for the jack above. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/stereo-video-cable-stv-250n

Preview-snap001.jpg

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave the 5DII port you show above is not an AV port. It is for USB. AV port is the round port above it. And hess it looks like the bottom pin has been damaged. 5DII below.

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 8.40.14 AM.png

12. Dave King

I hooked up the mini HDMI connector and it works. However I dont like the size of the picture its smaller and for you to make it larger you have to take all of the info off of it and its still not quite as large as the analog signal. Also the HDMI adapter doesn't sync the same after every shot. It goes blue sometimes and will show the exposure taken some times. I think I need to send this 5D back.

13. Dave King

Well that explains that. Thanks!! Only question is what is the pin assignment for the cable because have several 3.5mm to RCA adapter cables (3 pin and 4 pin) and they are not working. I can make my own cable if I know what the pin assignment is.

14. Dave King

Michael, Steve and Gary

Thank you all! I got it figured it out and have a right cable for it. Whew...... I sure feel stupid now.

Steve Maller likes this.