/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fish eye & landing gear

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Jeff Gaunt, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

Hello,

I'm currently working on a project that requires filming with a Red camera & Canon 8-15mm fish eye set to 8mm.

As you can see from the example attached, the shot has 180 Field of View. I would like to know if the lens will protrude out past the landing gear as to avoid them appearing in shot. I'm not too worried about the blades as the camera is always tilted down and the image cropped at the top.

If the lens doesn't protrude past the landing gear, are there any other options to solve this?

Cheers
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Is this on a Pro or an M15 or something? We shot with an 8mm on the M15 and just slid the legs in a bit on the carbon tubes until they were out of shot.

3. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Your other option is to remove your landing gear and make a little stand for takeoff/landing. I've seen a couple of circular ones that work pretty well, or there is always hand catching. It's pretty easy (and safe) with the alta. Totally doable with 1 person or 2.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Let's hope Steve Maller sees this thread -- he's the master of "ghetto" stands etc. with PVC pipe!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

It's on the MōVI Pro

6. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

7. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

Hi Mike can you suggest the best position to hold the aircraft for a hand launch/catch?

Cheers
    J

8. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

@Jeff Gaunt I have done it with a single person catching opposite booms, or 2 separate people catching opposite booms. The alta is pretty safe for this because the props are nice and out of the way. Still, be careful though. I prefer the @Steve Maller stand for safety if you have a flat landing surface that you can set it down on.

Jeff Gaunt likes this.
  9. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

Hi Mike, do you have a link to the Steve Maller stand?

Thanks
    J

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jeff: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-builds-and-maintenance.738/page-4#post-39472

See message #71.

Not sure you could use it for landings unless you're a waaay better pilot than I am....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

11. Jeff Gaunt

Jeff Gaunt New Member

Thanks Andy, agreed you would have to be damn good to land on that. I did build a landing hoop out of pvc. I tested it but found it difficult to land in with the disturbance from the rotor wash.
    In the end I have gone for a much simpler approach, takeoff and hover just above head height. Assistant walks in and removes the front landing gear. Need to allow 40 seconds to reattach and land the aircraft at the end of the flight.

Cheers
    J

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hope the assistant has some body armor and a safety helmet! :)

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™