/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro with Sony FS7

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Joi De Leon, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Joi De Leon

Joi De Leon New Member

Anyone using Movi Pro with Sony FS7... if yes how do you like it any issues.

Thank you in advance

2. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

Biggest issue I had was the screws being too long to get the camera threaded tightly. Also having the biggest Sony brand battery (not v mount) in the camera is important for counterweight.

Also highly recommend a barrel to PTap adapter so you never have to switch out camera batteries. Always throws off balence.

That being said I was still able balence the FS7 with the 28-105 zoom lens couldn't get the FIZ Motors on it though.

I am about to get then Cinemilled pro plate with counterweights that should solve a lot of my build problems.

Attached Files:

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I tried the Cinemilled plate the other night with an FS7, and I ran into a problem that the screws wouldn't tighten all the way. I was in a rush to get the thing built for a shoot, so I didn't have time to test further, but I had to go back to the MoVI Pro's plate and use the shorter 1/4-20 screws.

It seemed to me that the holes in the bottom of the FS7 are shallower than normal, so even normal tripod screws are too long and cause the plate to be loose. I only used the 1/4-20 because I couldn't find my 3/8 screws and I was in a rush.

Unless Pedro re-designed the CineMilled plate since I got mine (I have one of the first batch he made), it won't take the Freefly screws because they stick up and block the sliding-action of the plate. You need flat-head Manfrotto, O'Connor or Miller ones, and they seemed too long for the Sony when I tried the other night.

We were using a light-weight Canon lens, so counterweight wasn't an issue.

The CineMilled plate has been very useful with other cameras, like the Arri Mini, especially with larger lenses. I use it a lot these days as my go-to plate.

Ryan Forte likes this.
  4. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

Thanks for sharing this.

We gotta be on the lookout for shallow screws for the fs7 maybe Freefly or Pedro could source shallow screws for the FS7. It's obviously a problem for more than just myself.

Becca Ulmo likes this.
  5. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

You guys would benefit from a dremel tool and a cut off wheel so that you can cut/trim screws to length when necessary. Obviously never do this without safety glasses. It is much easier and faster than trying to source exact length screws.

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

Ryan Forte likes this.
  6. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

Great Point!

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I came across this website today, when looking for something else. Maybe?
    http://www.jccamerasystems.com/screws

I'll try the Dremel idea too. I have one around here somewhere.