/dist/images/branding/favicon

UNLOAD/LOAD LIPO

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Pv Ferdani, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Pv Ferdani

Pv Ferdani New Member

Hello, this is perhaps a banal question but difficult for me.

How to unload our LIPO batteries with charger Freefly?

On my saying that you should never load a LIPO battery not completely empty. Really?
    How empty it, leaving the Movi lit all night. ^^

Thx

Pv

2. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hi I am NOT an expert on Lipos but have done some research. You never want your cells to go below 3.2 volts per cell. From what I understand you can cause failure and possible fires. Know several people who never meter there batts for voltage. Some have had fires.
    Lipo fires are nothing to mess with.
    There are cheap lipo voltage checkers out there that will show what your voltage is. They just plug right into your balanced connector. Some also have an alarm if it goes under a certain voltage will go off. Some even can drain your voltage to safe storage levels. Your Movi software will show you voltage as well.
    Also really good battery chargers can charge, show the voltage and also put your batts on a proper storage voltage.
    Hope that helps.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If you want to properly manage your LiPo batteries, you should buy a real charger.
    The standard MōVI charger does not allow you do do a proper "storage" charge.
    This is a good model with lots of options, but there are many.
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/Graupner-Polaron-EX-DC-Charger_p_1213.html
    You do not want to manually discharge a LiPo ever. As Jim mentioned above, this can lead to a fire.

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  4. Neil Horsman

Neil Horsman New Member

I second Steves comment - the Freefly Movi Lipo charger is fairly basic. We use one of these a SkyRC Quattro B6AC charger. It's a fairly inexpensive 4 lipo battery charger, which has a great 'storage' mode to safely discharge your lipo battery when you plan to store for more than a few days. General consensus is to prolong the life of the 4 Cell Movi Lipos they should be stored at around 15v.

The other great feature with this chargers is they can safely charge 4 lipo batteries at once.

Neil.

5. Chris Hallum

Chris Hallum New Member

Hello, i just cam across this post and wondered if you could answer a question for me.

I want to put my Movi M15 Batts into storage mode.

I have a SKYRC Quattro B6 charger - my question is when i select the storage mode setting, i can change the Amp and cell selection. Obviously it should be on 4 cell as its a 4 cell lipo battery, but should i change the amps to 2.6Ah as it says on the battery or should i keep it at 3.0A as this is the default setting in the charger for lipos?

Many thanks

Chris

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question, Chris.

The 2.6Ah rating is the battery capacity -- usually designated as C. My general rule of thumb is to charge at 1C (2.6 Amps), but, to be "kinder" to the battery, to discharge to storage at 0.5C (1.3 Amps or rounding down, 1.0 Amps). It takes longer to do it, but, as I say, it's kinder to the batteries.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert